Saturday, October 3, 2009

And so I begin...

Welcome to my blog about weaving.

I am a novice weaver, armed with a recent purchase of a 8 harness 48 inch weaving loom. With this blog I will share my experiences, lessons, and ruminations about weaving as I learn about this wonderful art. It is my hope and belief that by not only weaving, but also by writing about my experiences, chronicling with pictures, and sharing my ruminations about weaving as I sit at my loom I will not only learn more about weaving, but enjoy it that much more.

Having just purchased my loom, I have told many people about it. Most responses have been "a what?", as in they're not sure they heard me right. Then I say something like "a loom, as in weaving, a floor loom, maker of cloth". To which they say something along the lines of "oh." and we change the subject.

One response I received was "what are you going to do with it?" Very interesting question. My immediate response was "relax with it, enjoy it, have fun". To which they said "that's it?" No doubt they think I have to much time on my hands. I wish. But in reality it takes a conscious effort to relax with my loom. I am now starting my first project on my new loom, going slowly and methodically as I work out the kinks and solve the problems associated with bringing a loom that has been idle for 15 years back to life. I have to stop myself from setting productivity goals, such as getting all the threading done in one evening. At the same time I have to keep myself going as I work through problems that are not easy or pleasant to work through, such as solving the problems with the tie ups, which required that I crawl under the loom for a day and a half.

Learning how to slow down and enjoy a process in my life full of things that must get done is going to be so rewarding. Already I am starting to get the hang of it. My loom room is a nice place to just be and create. I look forward to the adventures yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment